Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Back

Apparently, at some point, every soldier in Basic Training writes home saying that they hate the Army, and that they want out.  Well, yesterday I got the letter from Alex. "Dear Mommy," it begins, "I hate it here."  The fact that he called me "Mommy" shows that it's pretty bad. He only calls me that when he wants something, when he's sick, or when he's really sad. It goes on to say that he feels like he's in a prison, that he has no freedom. He said he feels he can handle it physically, but not emotionally. He misses home; he dreams of home. He wishes he could just quit, but he can't. And again, he doesn't want to disappoint his father and me. I cried my eyes out reading how unhappy he is.

My first reaction was to get on a plane, fly down to Georgia, and shake my mommy finger in the face of his CO.  "My boy is not happy, so I'm taking him home! He doesn't want to play anymore."  My second reaction was to just respond to him, "Well, you knew what you were signing up for. Lighten up, Francis!"

All I can say is thank God I've been poking around online and reading everything I could about being an Army parent because I learned that this is normal and expected. One man even said that if you don't want to get out at some point, there's something wrong with you.  It's all part of the process - they tear you down and then build you up into something better than you were before.

I also learned exactly how to answer him. First, sympathize with how he's feeling, but don't dwell on it. Give him support, remind him why he chose this. Then change the subject to something lighthearted and fun.  So I did exactly that, and thank God the Phils won the NL East because not only did I have stuff to tell him, I had pictures, too! I took pictures off the television of the celebrations and printed out a few for him to see. And then I poked fun at myself, "Yes, I took pictures off the television. Yes, I know, I am a dork!"  It always makes him feel better to laugh at his dorky mother!

The letter was dated on Friday, September 24, so I'm hoping and praying that he's already doing better, and that by the time my letter reaches him, he's laughing about it.  I know that if he was really in a bad way, they would have contacted me.

It's funny - new parents always think they have it so hard. Staying up all night with a crying baby... the terrible twos... your kid picking up every illness possible in pre-school...  Those are the easy parts of raising a child. It's easy to take care of them, nurture them, and protect them.  The hard part is hoping you've done the best you can and then just... letting go.

*** UPDATE ***

Just got this email from Janet:

"we just got letters from alex! they were so sweet. he sent one to me and randy and one to the kids. he told the kids about one of the drill sergeants there who everyone says looks like buzz lightyear. and alex says he really does! he said the guy walked by his platoon and they sounded off with "to infinity and beyond!" the guy wasn't amused! then someone took down a picture of the drill sergeant and replaced it with a picture of buzz. the kids loved that story! meanwhile, he told us that it's really hard and told us all about the awful gas chamber thing. overall, he sounded good. the letters were dated the 25th, so i don't know if that's before or after the letter he wrote to you. we'll send our letters back right away."

I really hope this means he was feeling better about things by the next day. Janet doesn't think he was hiding anything in his letter to her and Randy. He told them about the gas chamber (which he didn't even tell me about), so he wasn't sugar coating anything. Fingers crossed!

8 comments:

  1. oh, wow. you are right about it getting harder as you go along. some of my friends think i'm nuts when i say i would do the baby years over and over again if i could. physically it was exhausting, but mentally it was a piece of cake. so sorry you got that letter but good for you for doing your homework and anticipating it. did he say if he was feeling better, i mean physically? he's out of sick bay? is he allowed to write as often as he wants? i hope it turns around for him soon. and yes, you are a dork for taking pictures off the the TV. did you use your kodak instamatic? did you take some of your albums after that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. jan, he didn't say a thing about how he was feeling after the flu, or whatever he had. i'm assuming, since all he talked about was his mental state, that physically he's okay.

    "kodak instamatic" - ha ha!! i took them specifically so i could share the moment with him. i could have just downloaded pics of the celebration from the internet, but i knew he'd get a kick out of my dorkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and your son are in the same platoon. I am saying a prayer for them both to give them strength and guidance. One has no clue what we are going through until they have walked an inch in our shoes. Crying reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, betina!! as i've told you before, it helps so much to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gail!!! Well-said. I hope he finds the letters uplifting and laughs about everything.....It is a good thing you've read up on it, YES! Smart lady. I'm sure it will work out. I can tell you, I'm having similar conversations with Dom. Dom absolutely loves NYC but not the "ridiculous" prerequisites that he MUST take. He is also growing insanely frustrated by the baby steps they are taking in film classes....Told him to hang in there...give it time.....Same story, different chapter. Dor

    ReplyDelete
  6. doreen, sorry to hear that dom is also frustrated. they're at a funny point in their lives - they want to grow up and be adults, but they're still scared little kids in some ways. i hope soon we can talk about how much dom and alex both love what they're doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When his training is all over, this is going to be one of the things that will be the most meaningful to Alex- the pride and sense of accomplishment that he was tempted to quit but didn't and toughed it out to the end. And the same will go for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you think about it, that is the way everyone feels during the beginning of time at a new school, new job, etc. Then you realize that time does actually move along and you'll make it. I hope Alex was just having a particularly bad day, that can do it every time.

    ReplyDelete