Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen



Okay, that title's a little dramatic, but it worked for M*A*S*H, and it's in keeping with the military theme I'm going for.

I just wanted to share a couple of pictures I took the night Alex left for Basic.  My family came over to wish him well, and a couple of his buddies stopped by, too.

Red, white and blue sprinkled cupcakes with Army Men. Appropriate, no?



Alex and Cousin Lisa

Alex and Aunt Joanie



Mom Mom was about to kiss him, but I just missed it.  She held it together amazing well - better than I did. We cried together over the phone the next morning.  I'm sorry I didn't get a picture with Pop Pop.

Most of Alex's friends have left for school, but Greg and Dave were able to stop by. They've been friends since middle school. One of Alex's other best buds is already at Fort Benning. I hope they run into each other while they're there!

I had completely forgotten to ask someone to take my picture with Alex, so he snapped this right before we walked out the door. Yes, I had already been crying.


I dropped Alex off at the hotel where he had to stay overnight (Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill - not too shabby for the military!).  I cried a little when I kissed and hugged him goodbye, but I fell apart in the parking lot.  I had to sit and cry for a few minutes before I could even drive home.

It's a tough thing, saying goodbye to your baby.  We all know it's going to happen someday, but we're never fully prepared for the feeling.  I just keep telling myself that he's doing something that makes him happy and proud, and no mother could ask for more.

Hooah, schmook!!! I love you!!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Gail. You have to be sooooo proud of him! What a great young man!
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete