Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 20, 2010

Uncle Hulka?

The "Big Toe"

"Men, welcome to the United States Army. I'm Sergeant Hulka. I'm your drill sergeant. Before we proceed any further, we gotta get something straight. Your mamas are not here to take care of you now. It's just you, me, and Uncle Sam. And before I leave you, you're gonna find out that me and Uncle Sam are one in the same."



 Alex has learned Lesson #1:  The US Army is nothing like Stripes, and his Drill Sergeants are not like "Uncle Hulka."

Alex called last night.  On Friday they took the bus from Reception down range to where the real training starts.  He said as they got off the bus, they were greeted with shouts of "GET OFF THE BUS!! MOVE IT!!" while smoke bombs and flash bangs were being set off around them. Their duffle bags were dumped in a pile, and they had to try to find theirs through the smoke, and line up.

"It was awesome!" is exactly what he said.

Alex sounded so good!! He said was psyched because he had just been issued his rifle.  I asked him if he liked the training so far and he said he loves it and hates it. I told him that was perfectly normal and to be expected.  He also said the drill sergeants are "dicks."  (He apologized for his language, but I let it go!)  But he said they are also really nice guys. The drill sergeants rag on the National Guard guys, and then later tell them that they really respect what the Guard does.  He knows that it's all an act to tear them down and then build them up - he's dealing okay with it. 

He couldn't really talk long and he probably won't be able to call again until White Phase is over, which is about three weeks. We were about to hang up when he said, "Wait, I want to say something."  He then proceeded to tell me that after the first day, he was ready to quit. But then he thought of me and his father, and he didn't want to let us down. He said he's quit so many things in his life - wanting to be a filmmaker, school, his job - that he didn't want to disappoint us again.  I told him that if he quit, he wouldn't disappoint us, he'd be disappointing himself.  I told him how proud of him his father and I are, and that to just keep trying his best. Of course, I was crying by the time we hung up - I am so very proud of him!!!

I worry about him every day:  I worry about his lungs holding out; I worry about him missing home; I worry about his mental health; I worry about him coming home, starting school, and then getting deployed to Afghanistan...  But I know this is also an amazing time in his life, and that no matter what, he'll be fine because he's growing into a man with ambition and conviction - and he's got such a good, loving heart on top of it all!

I'm writing to him today and will include any well wishes in my letter. Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement you've all been giving to Alex, and to me as well!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear he's enjoying it!!! Again, I can imagine how proud you must be; he sounds like such a great young man. Also great to hear he'll be home for Christmas (tears in eyes)....What a blessing and gift!!!

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! The Army is nothing like Stripes? Does that mean they don't chant "why did the chicken cross the road" when they're marching? I'm so disappointed! ;-)

    Much love and positive enery to Alex (and you!) to do well in training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. michelle, alex said everytime he marches, he's totally going to be thinking of "do wah diddy"!!

    ReplyDelete