Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 17, 2010

Locked and Loaded

Alex is heading "down range" today, which means that he's moving out of the holding pattern of Reception and is finally starting his training. His dog tags are around his neck, his hair is freshly cut, his duffle bag is packed, and he's ready to start!

I talked to him a lot while he was in Reception, and I sensed a mixture of emotions from him: excitement, boredom, fatigue, happiness, worry, fear, anticipation...  but the main thing that struck me is how different he sounded. He didn't sound as goofy as he normally does - he sounded very chill and very mature. He sounded like a MAN, and I have to admit, it kinda freaked me out.

I asked him last night if he was holding back on the phone because he's with a bunch of people he doesn't really know well.  But he said they're all a bunch of goofs and that he wasn't holding back. It's weird that even though he hasn't yet started the hard part of his training, he already sounds different.  Admittedly, I've been a bit of an overprotective mother, so I attribute it to his really being on his own for the first time. I think he's finally enjoying some independence. He also is very aware of how important and serious this whole experience is, and he's ready to face his future.

Once again - shock and awe.

He also told me some really wonderful news - they moved up his graduation to the week before Christmas. So when he comes home, he'll stay for good!  It will make Christmastime a little crazy for me, but I don't care - I already got my Christmas present!!

1 comment: