Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 1, 2010

For My Soldier and His Platoon Buddies


Dear Alex & Charlie Company 1-19 TF330, 3rd Platoon:

For a while now, I've been wanting to write a post specifically dedicated to all of you who are training together. However, it's proven more difficult than I'd ever have imagined. Most of my posts are written in one day, sometimes under an hour.  This post, however, has taken me more than a week to compose.  Everything I start to say seems inadequate, so I scrap it and start all over.  But I want you all to see this before Graduation, so here goes...

I am in awe of each and every one of you!!  

You have made the decision to willingly leave your loved ones and put your lives on hold so that you can train to defend your country.  Because of you, those of us at home will continue to enjoy our freedom.  What an amazing sacrifice!  Obviously, I only know my son's experience and how he came to this decision.  I know that he has always loved his country; he just 11 years old when 9/11 happened, and it affected him deeply.  The heroism and patriotism that fell over the country in the weeks and months afterward settled into his soul and became a part of him.  Your story may be similar; it may be completely different. But there was something that inspired and influenced your very difficult decision.

I can't imagine how it feels to say goodbye to your parents, your spouse, your kids, your friends and embark on one of the most difficult journeys anyone could imagine.  Once you get to Basic, you're waking up before God, running in the dark or the heat (or both), crawling through dirt and mud, enduring the gas chamber, enduring your Drill Sergeants, running until your lungs feel they're going to burst, learning how to disassemble and reassemble your rifle until you can do it blindfolded, building your bodies and your minds... all the while aching for a letter or a picture from home.

I know from Alex's letters that he hates getting up early, but he loves the training. And he keeps telling me that what constantly drives him - besides the support of family and friends at home - is the thought of when he gets his Blue Infantry Cord.  Like the proverbial carrot on the end of the stick, that braided piece of material keeps him moving forward and motivated.  I can't wait until I can put that cord on his shoulder, and I'm sure every one of you is excited to have your parent, spouse, or other loved one do the same.

I recently found this Soldier's Creed.  I don't know if they teach it to you during Basic Training, but I thought it was beautiful, so I made this to share with all of you:





















"I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life."  That statement is so simple, yet so profound.  Many of us take our freedom for granted, but if it weren't for the soldiers who came before you, we wouldn't be enjoying our freedom.  And now because of you, your children and your grandchildren will continue to do so.
 
Some of you may go overseas but, God willing, most of you will serve at home, called on when you're needed most.  But no matter what, you are all SOLDIERS, and you each will learn to live by this creed.  Stand proud when you can say "I am an American Soldier."  
 
Mama Leone signing off, sending lots of love to everyone in 3rd Platoon!!  God Bless you all, and I hope to meet many of you on Graduation Day!!

HOOAH!!!  

GO GUARD!!!

4 comments:

  1. OMG Gail, you have me sobbing! But I 2nd all you say. It is because of young men and women such as them, that we have a country to be proud of and stand up for. May God Bless each and everyone of them and God Bless the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, anonymous (sorry, don't know who you are!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, Gail. Did you send this letter to him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just finished it; i'll be mailing it out to him tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete