Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why blog?

I guess it’s best to start by explaining why I’m doing this blogging thing. Here goes…

I deal with my feelings by talking them out instead of holding them in - sometimes to a fault, but that’s just the way I’m built. Talking to my family and friends got me through the scariest part of my life, so like it or not, here I am, talking again. But why not just talk? Why blog? Well, eventually, I want to use the blog as a forum for keeping family and friends informed about how Alex is doing at Fort Benning. Anyone who knows me well knows I hate talking on the phone, so I really don’t relish the thought of calling several people and relaying the same story over and over and over.

Also, I hope that people will leave messages for Alex, which I’ll pass along to him. During basic training, he’s pretty much only allowed to communicate with us through letters. I doubt he’ll write many himself, but from what I’ve seen on Army forums, the recruits treasure hearing stories and words of encouragement from back home.

Oh, and what’s “hooah,” you ask? It’s what they shout in the Army; it’s an expression of high morale, strength and confidence. I found this on goarmyparents.com: Former Army Chief of Staff Gen. Gordon R. Sullivan has his interpretation. "It means we have broken the mold. We are battle focused. Hooah says ‘Look at me. I'm a warrior. I'm ready. Sergeants trained me to standard. I serve America every day, all the way.'"

That's gonna be my boy - a warrior! I'm so proud!

HOOAH!

3 comments:

  1. Fellow blogger, welcome to the blogosphere! As a random aside, it's weird to me that a blogging website underlines as misspelled the words blogger, blogosphere and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, petr! not sure if anyone will read it or care, but i'm giving it a try. i know my posts won't be nearly as entertaining as your idol comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogland, Gail! And good luck Alex!

    ReplyDelete