Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 16, 2010

4-Hour Pass

I JUST TALKED TO ALEX - AGAIN!!

He had a 4-hour pass today, so he was in the PX eating a cheesburger and fries and calling everyone he could get a hold of!  As on Monday, he sounds great - still just concerned about PT.  When Alex was little, he didn't like to practice anything - he wanted to do it perfectly right away, so I can understand why he's frustrated.  He also used to give up if he couldn't do it right he first time, so I give him a lot of credit for working so hard at it!!  Of course, he should have worked on his endurance before he left for Basic, but he knows that.  He'll get there, I know.

We talked for more than half an hour - it was so nice to have a leisurely talk for a change.  He told me all about his rifle training. He said he sucked when he first did it, but he's getting progressively better. He's saving his targets to show his dad when he gets home. I told him that his father has always gotten an "Expert Marksmanship" every year he requalifies, so he should work hard to show him up!! ;-)

He said he's going to go to Bible Study again, and he did attend a Protestant service one Sunday - he said it was "awesome! Much better than Catholic Church."  Yikes!!  I told him please just don't convert while he's there - his grandmother will have a stroke!  But I'm happy that he's going to any service at all.

It's a good thing he's spending a lot of time with God, because apparently, there is a lot of cursing and salty language in the Army! He said he was trying very, very hard to control his tongue while he was talking to me.  Even one of their cadences is "F***, F***, F***ity, F***"!!  Oh, those crazy drill sergeants!!!

Speaking of which - he's really upset because his favorite drill sergeant just got reassigned to another platoon. He likes the other guys, but Alex just felt a special affinity with this particular DS.  I can't believe they would do that in the middle of traning, but I guess one doesn't question the Army.

I'm still so excited that I can't remember the half of what we talked about, so I may update this post.  Just wanted to spread the joy!!

This has been such a great week; I talked to Alex twice and got to see pictures of him - I'm in Mommy heaven!!

* * * * *
He just sent me a picture!

10 comments:

  1. Hey! My name is Kaitlyn. Your son, Alex, is in the same platoon as my husband, Dave. My husband is in the pictures with your son from Bible Study. Dave went with Alex to the Catholic service there and then asked him to come to the Protestant service! I was able to talk to my husband today for 45 minutes and it was so awesome! I appreciate what you are doing, this is neat! I have been praying for you Dave each day and also for your son. I know Dave really enjoys his company. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, I'm so glad you are getting Alex time! And I think the comment above is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaitlyn - how nice to hear from you. I'm so glad you read this and commented! Alex just told me about Dave when we talked yesterday. I'm so glad he has someone there who he can talk to and share experiences with. I'm glad that Alex has someone a little older who he can look up to; he's only 20, so I was worried about him doing this at such a young age. But he sounds so much more mature now; I guess Dave is having an influence on him!

    Thank you so much for including Alex in your prayers; I will be sure to include Dave and your family as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gail - Dave told me about Alex and your blog in a letter. When he had his 4 hour pass on Saturday he gave me the web address. Dave has an out- going and positive personality. He sees the best in everyone, which I love about him. Dave has definitely changed in the last 6 weeks. I am so proud of him. I tell everyone, ha :) Initially I was hesitant because who wants to be away from their husband for 14 weeks, but now I am certain God has a plan. Its hard being away from him, but God is changing both of us and I know our relationship has grown tremendously throughout this difficult process. My favorite quote that helps me get through each day is "Missing someone gets easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's one day closer to the next time you will."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaitlyn, Dave sounds wonderful - you are so lucky to have each other. I'm sure it's even more difficult to be away from your husband than from your son. I love that quote about missing someone - do you know where it comes from? I may use it in a future blog post, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaitlyn - check my post called "Communication Received." I had originally cropped Dave out of the pictures, but I updated the pictures to include Dave so you can see his handsome face!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gail, you absolutely can use the quote in a future blog post. It is very difficult being away from Dave. I miss him more everyday. I just cannot wait to hold him again. I know its going to be an awesome day! I do have those pictures, thank you though. Its funny when I received them I cropped Alex out of the pictures to hang on my wall. I look at those pictures everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i did the same thing, kaitlyn. i have them hanging in my office, i have one in my living room and another in my bedroom. it's hard whether it's a son or a husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have them in my room and hanging in my classroom at work :) I check every Monday night to see if there is a new one posted for me! Every Monday I get to see his handsome face and its also one week closer to seeing him again! Today, I received a package, which I was expecting to be a shirt for my brother and myself, but when I opened the package it was a message rolled up in a bottle surrounded by blue rose petals. Definitely made my week <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my, that is the sweetest story, kaitlyn!! you are so blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete